Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Masked Identity











Inspiration


Sally-Anne Kelly


Gladys Paulus

Artist Statement


As a child I had a dragonfly necklace that I wore everywhere. after doing my research I learned that the dragonfly symbolizes free will. The idea that I wore a symbol of free will around my neck for years seems fitting. I was a rebellious child. I had a speech impediment and a few learning learning disabilities. I was told that I needed special attention. I didn't want to be babied. I would skip meetings with my special needs tutor. By middle school a woman was assigned to follow me so that I couldn't skip. I was horribly cruel to the women who impeded my freedom. the woman who kept me from my potential. I know it was her job, but I didn't feel any different then any of the other children. I rebelled. I did everything they said I wouldn't achieve. By high school I enrolled in AP classes and by the end of high school I graduated with a 3.6 gpa and was moving to Florida to pursue a degree in media production and graphic design. My mask represents the movement of the dragon fly wings. The gold/ copper tones on the mask represent the earth and how I am, for the most part, grounded. I set a solid foundation, but in the end I do what I want and need to do to get where I need to go. The wearer of the mask is powerful, which is symbolized by the gold leaf she can make appear and wield at her discretion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment